School History

East Chicago Central High School is a high school in the industrial city of East Chicago, Indiana, United States, located in the Chicago metropolitan area. Its address is 1100 W. Columbus Drive, on the corner of Columbus Drive and Indianapolis Boulevard. The high school opened in 1986 as a result of the merger of East Chicago's two high schools: Roosevelt Roughriders (which was located in the school's present location) and Washington Senators (in the Indiana Harbor side of town). The school's mascot is the Cardinal.

When the school first opened there were about 2000 students attending the school. Many teachers from the former high schools came to teach at "Central." Most of the students that attend the school are Hispanic and/or African American.

History of Central High SchoolThe School City of East Chicago had Central High school built in the mid-1980s to replace East Chicago's two aging high schools. The two schools' enrollments had been declining since the 1960s.

In 2007, the boys varsity basketball team defeated Indianapolis North Central High School to capture the Class 4A State Championship.

In response to possible intervention from the Indiana Department of Education, during the 2010-2011 school year, East Chicago Central High School has transformed from a traditional high school setting to one that consist of an early and middle college. These colleges focus on college and career readiness